Former Logan man bound over for trial for allegedly raping young girl

Booking photo for Guillermo “Gizmo” Farias (Courtesy: Cache County Jail)

LOGAN — A 34-year-old former Logan man has been bound over for trial on charges of sexually abusing a young girl eight years ago. Guillermo “Gizmo” Farias was booked into the Cache County Jail earlier this month after he was arrested on a warrant in Wicks, Arkansas.

Farias was in 1st District Court Tuesday morning for a preliminary hearing, appearing by video from jail because of the COVID-19 pandemic. He was previously charged with rape of a child, a first-degree felony; and, three counts of sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony.

Cache County Deputy Attorney Dane Murray told the court how Farias allegedly raped a 12-year-old girl around eight years ago. The alleged victim reported the assault earlier this year to Logan City police, who recorded an interview with her.

Murray played the interview as evidence. During it, the alleged victim, who is now 20-years-old, described how she and an 18-year-old family friend went to Farias’ residence in Logan, around January 2012. The woman explained that she was provided alcohol and fell asleep on a couch. She later woke up to discover the suspect pulling her from the couch. He allegedly raped her as she pushed him away and told him “no.”

Murray also played a recorded conversation between the alleged victim and Farias. During the call, the woman asked the suspect about the alleged incident and asked if she needed to be tested for any sexually transmitted diseases. The suspect replied that she didn’t need to worry because he had been tested in federal prison.

Farias never admitted to the sexual assault during the conversation. He said that he was on so many drugs at the time of the alleged rape he couldn’t remember what happened.

Defense attorney Glen Thomas claimed that officers did not try to corroborate the alleged victim’s testimony. He provided a witness who testified that she lived with the defendant around the time of the incident. She claimed the suspect and alleged victim were never left alone together.

Judge Angela Fonnesbeck bound Farias over on all of the charges. She explained that there were questions in some of the evidence that obviously needed following up in trial. She ordered him to appear again April 27.

Farias is being held in jail on $50,000 bail. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • Bryanna C Farias April 25, 2020 at 1:18 am Reply

    How is it ok to ruin his name or out families name when he hasn’t been convicted. Now how is a jury suppose to be selected that’s not justice. It’s sad that just anyone can say anything but the ones who really need help can’t get help. I remember Utah like yesterday and several times needing law enforcement helo and they didn’t do shit to help my family or protect us. Maybe everyone should do their job before causing an innocent man 2 jobs and causing so much grief for our family. Especially when there is plenty of actual criminals still running the streets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.