Possible plea deal coming for Logan man charged with sexually assaulting woman and teenage girl

Booking photo for Tyler James Ray (Courtesy: Cache County Jail).

LOGAN — A possible plea agreement is being negotiated for a 23-year-old Logan man accused of sexually assaulting a woman and teenage girl several years ago. Tyler J. Ray was booked into the Cache County Jail in November and later released after posting bail.

Ray appeared in 1st District Court Tuesday morning for a pretrial conference. He was previously charged with one count of rape, one count of object rape and five counts of forcible sodomy, all first-degree felonies.

Ray’s public defender said they had met with prosecutors to work out a plea deal. He asked for more time, so state attorneys could meet with the alleged victims and discuss the resolution.

Details of the agreement were not discussed.

Judge Brian Cannell said he would allow attorneys to continue to work towards a resolution. He ordered both sides to return to court January 28.

According to a police report, officers began investigating Ray after one of the alleged victims reported being raped to officers. The woman, who is an acquaintance of the suspect, claimed the crime occurred around September 2016, when Ray would have been around 20-years-old. She described that there was physical abuse during sexual and non-sexual moments in their relationship. She also claimed that he raped her multiple times while she told him “no” and cried.

Through the course of the investigation, detectives learned of a separate incident involving another woman. She described incidents where she was held down and sodomized around seven years ago, when she was a teenager and he would have been around 16-years-old. The second alleged victim was also an acquaintance.

Officers interviewed Ray, who originally claimed his relationship with both women was always consensual. He later admitted that during times of sexual activity he was unable to control his sexual urges.

Ray has been ordered to wear an ankle monitor and have no contact with the alleged victims, while on pre-trial supervision. He has pleaded “not guilty” to all of the charges. If convicted, he could face up to life in prison.


will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.