LOGAN — The rape trial for Kay K. Moosman has been rescheduled for next spring after previous hearings were canceled. The 60-year-old Mendon man was originally arrested in June 2018.
Moosman appeared in 1st District Court Monday morning. He was previously charged with rape, sodomy and object rape, all first-degree felonies; along with voyeurism and multiple counts of violating a protective order, all misdemeanors.
Moosman was booked into the Cache County Jail after the alleged victim reported the assaults to Cache County Sheriff’s deputies. The defendant was apparently acquainted with the woman, who had previously filed a protective order against him.
Later, Moosman is alleged to have tried to cancel the woman’s cell phone account and vehicle insurance. When confronted by officers, he said the whole thing was a big misunderstanding.
Moosman waived his right to a preliminary hearing in September 2018. He also pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.
During Monday’s court appearance, defense attorney Greg Skordas asked for the jury trial. He and the prosecutor said it will likely last three days.
Judge Thomas Willmore scheduled the new trial to begin April 8. He also ordered everyone to appear March 17 for a final pretrial conference.
Moosman is currently out of jail after posting $5,000 bail. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.