Trial set for former Nibley man accused of setting fire to mother’s home

Booking photo for Christopher L. Lescoe. Courtesy: Cache County Jail

LOGAN — The 34-year-old Nibley man, accused of trying to burn his mother’s house down on March 3, has waived his right to a preliminary hearing.  Christopher L. Lescoe will continue to sit behind bars, waiting for a two-day jury trial, scheduled to begin May 30.

Lescoe appeared in 1st District Court Monday afternoon.  He was previously charged with aggravated arson, a first-degree felony; and six misdemeanors or infractions.

Public defender Mike McGinnis told the court that they wished to forgo the prelim and proceed to trial.  He also explained that Lescoe is facing a pending case in Cedar City, where he pleaded guilty to discharging a firearm, a third-degree felony.

Police claim Lescoe allegedly was involved in a hit-and-run crash in Logan, on the afternoon of March3, while driving his mother’s vehicle.  When his brother and mother confronted him about the accident, he became combative and barricaded himself inside her home.

Home at 2990 S. 1000 W. in Nibley that was badly damaged after a distraught individual set fire to the residence.

While inside the house, Lescoe contacted his girlfriend by video call.  She told investigators she could see that he had cut his arm with a knife, causing him to bleed, and started the house on fire in an attempt to take his life.

Deputies outside the home attempted to negotiate with Lescoe.  They witnessed him moving furniture around and lighting the interior curtains on fire.

Lescoe eventually exited the home through the garage.  He was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation and a laceration to his arm.  He was transported to the Mental Health Unit at Logan Regional Hospital for treatment and later arrested.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze but not before it caused significant damage to the two-story home.

Investigators were able to determine where the curtains had been lit on fire and could see the burn and scorch marks, where they had burned alongside the walls.  The main floor had heavy burn, smoke, and water damage.  The upstairs floor, along with all of the items were completely destroyed.  Several of the fire alarms had been ripped out of the ceiling on the main floor of the house also.

Family members told investigators that Lescoe had just been released from the psych ward at a hospital in Provo two-days before the incident.

Lescoe is being held in jail on $21,000 bail.  He has a lengthy criminal history including multiple convictions for drug possession and other offenses.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.