LOGAN — A 20-year-old Logan man has confessed to sexually abusing a teenage girl last summer and will now await sentencing. Jacob M. Selby-Brewer was originally scheduled to be tried in October on charges of rape, a first-degree felony; and, unlawful sex with a minor, a class B misdemeanor. The trial had been postponed while he completed a psycho-sexual evaluation.
According to court staff, Selby-Brewer appeared in 1st District Court Thursday morning. He accepted a plea deal, pleading guilty to an amended count of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony. As part of the agreement, prosecutors dropped the remaining charge against him.
According to an arrest warrant, Selby-Brewer was accused of raping a 16-year-old girl in June 2017. The victim claimed they were having consensual relations when she began to experience “extreme pain,” and told the defendant to stop. He allegedly refused, telling the victim he wasn’t finished. He then pinned her wrists with his hands, and continued to sexually assault her as she told him to stop and leave repeatedly.
Later during a pretext phone call, Selby-Brewer told the victim he felt bad about what happened. He said he acted stupid and wasn’t thinking. He explained that he was extremely drunk at the time of the assault and could not remember what happened.
In May, Selby-Brewer waived his right to a preliminary hearing and pleaded not guilty to both charges. He remains in the Cache County Jail since being arrested last May.
During Thursday’s court appearance, Selby-Brewer was ordered to appear again in court March 4 for sentencing. He could face between one-to-15-years in prison.