Trailer home fire kills Brigham City man and sends second to the hospital

A fire Tuesday morning in Brigham City killed an elderly man and sent a second man to the hospital with severe burns. The blaze was reported around 8:45 a.m. at a trailer home near 1060 South Main.

Brigham City Police report a nearby neighbor called 911 after smelling smoke and seeing flames coming from the trailer. She attempted to yell to the two people inside.

One of the occupants was able to escape while reportedly “still burning.” The neighbor took a hose and started to put water onto the victim. The man’s 83-year-old father did not make it out and was later found inside by the fire department, after they extinguished the blaze.

Police report the deceased man had recently started a similar fire days earlier, because he was on oxygen and smoking cigarettes. The son who was able to exit the trailer was taken by paramedics to Brigham City Community Hospital and later flown by helicopter to Salt Lake City. He has second-degree burns over 35-40% of his body.

The Brigham City Fire Department reports there were no working smoke detectors in the trailer. Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Firefighters remind property owners to assure they have working smoke detectors on each level of their home, in each bedroom and hallways.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.