LOGAN — A 36-year-old Arkansas man, Jeremiah S. Wood, who is accused of traveling to Logan to have sex with a teenage girl has waived his preliminary hearing. Wood’s defense attorney, Wayne Caldwell, said they wished to waive the hearing moments after a judge ruled that prosecutors could play a video from the victim as evidence.
Wood appeared in 1st District Court Thursday morning. He was arrested in August and later charged with two counts of rape and two counts of forcible sodomy, all first-degree felonies. He also faces charges of sexual exploitation of a minor and seducing a minor over the internet, both second-degree felonies, and dealing in materials harmful to a minor, a third-degree felony.
Sheriff’s investigators claim Wood allegedly traveled to the area in May. He met up with the teenage girl from Hyrum at the Days Inn, reportedly checking in under a false identity. He had been communicating with her for over a year, exchanging pornographic photos.
The case is a joint effort between deputies and agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
Wood spoke only briefly during Thursday’s hearing, telling the court he understood he was giving up his right to have prosecutors present their evidence in the case. He and Caldwell said they were not ready to enter a not guilty plea yet and asked for a pretrial conference be scheduled. Judge Brian Cannell ordered them to appear again October 10.
Wood remains in the Cache County Jail on $100,000 bail.
<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>firstname.lastname@example.org