Fire fighters quickly extinguish grass fire in Smithfield

Fire fighters were able to quickly extinguish a grass fire in Smithfield Monday morning, keeping it from spreading to nearby homes and businesses. The fire was located near 780 N Main.

Smithfield City Fire Chief Jay Downs said the fire is suspected to have started after a bird got tangled in nearby power lines and dropped into the dry grass. Flames quickly spread and was threatening a nearby boat repair shop, storage sheds and condominiums.

The fire was reported at 10:30 a.m. and was extinguished within 40 minutes.

Downs explained that Smithfield fire units were helped by crews from Logan and North Logan.

The fire temporarily knocked out power to nearby residences but no power lines were damaged.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.