LOGAN — The jury trial for Andrew Lesky, accused of lying under oath, has been postponed after the defendant filed a motion to recuse the judge and prosecutor in the case. The 46-year-old former Idaho man allegedly lied during the two-and-a-half-week jury trial for assaulting his ex-girlfriend and her then boyfriend.
The one-day trial was expected to begin Wednesday morning in 1st District Court. Lesky is charged with three counts of giving false or inconsistent material statements, a second-degree felony.
Prosecutors claim, during Lesky’s assault trial, he told the jury that he didn’t purchase or have a gun when he confronted the victims in October 2014. He also allegedly lied about when his relationship with the victim began.
During the October trial, the victims described how Lesky approached them while they were outside their Logan apartment. He brandished the handgun and told the couple to go inside. When they refused, he pulled out a knife and attempted to stab the man, cutting his clothing. A jury of five women and three men found him guilty. He was later sentenced to prison.
Court records show, last month Lesky filed two motions to recuse Judge Brian Cannell and state attorney Spencer Walsh. He claimed that because of their involvement in the trial, it is impossible for them not to be prejudiced and biased. The motion has been sent to the presiding judge, Judge Thomas Willmore, who will hear arguments in the motion on June 14.
Lesky still faces a list of other charges, including burglary, a second-degree felony, aggravated assault, damaging the jail and theft, all third-degree felonies and 17 misdemeanors.
<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>firstname.lastname@example.org