BRAG Director reflects on agency’s 45 years

The <a href=””>Bear River Association of Governments</a>, commonly known as BRAG, is celebrating its 45th anniversary this year. For Executive Director Roger Jones, who has been with the agency for all but two of those years, there is plenty to “brag” about.

BRAG is a regional organization, serving Cache, Rich and Box Elder counties. Jones said he has worked with many great elected officials from all three counties over the course of the years.

“The wide variety of things I’ve been able to work with and be part of over 43 years, I think, is what’s kept me here,” he said. “The variety’s great, from economic development, job creation, job training programs for a number of years. Lots of human service programs helping those who are disadvantaged and low income. Lots of housing services, and the variety’s just been very exciting and interesting.”

Jones said BRAG relies heavily on public funding, with about 80 percent of its operating revenue coming from the federal government.  Most of the remaining 20 percent comes from the state, he explained, with the balance coming from cities and counties.

Jones said he’s pleased to say there is less poverty in BRAG’s service region now than there was when he started his career, and ongoing economic development continues to be a priority. He finds it interesting to note that job creation seems to be extremely important during economic downturns, while growth takes highest priority when the economy is strong.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.