Preliminary hearing concludes for Torrey Green as judge postpones ruling

Torrey Green's leans to his defense attorney, Skye Lazaro after Judge Brian Cannell's ruling to hear closing arguments on Wednesday, April 19. Green is charged with six counts of rape, one count of aggravated kidnapping, three counts of forcible sex abuse and two counts of object rape. 

LOGAN — A judge is delaying to rule on whether Torrey Green will be bound over to face charges that he allegedly raped and assaulted multiple women between 2013-2016. Judge Brian Cannell said he would allow the 23-year-old’s defense attorneys time to review evidence, after the two-and-a-half day preliminary hearing finished.

The ruling came Friday afternoon in 1st District Court, after prosecutors presented evidence in their last two cases against the defendant.

The victim of the sixth case (C.H.) told the court how she met Green on a dating app, the same as several of the previous victims. She described him as being a talkative and normal guy, during their first date. After eating ice cream, she agreed to go to his apartment to watch a movie.

C.H. said she immediately felt nervous when they got there, and realized no one else was home. She claimed that when they started watching the movie on a couch, Green began groping her and trying to remove her clothes. She described being raped several times as she told him, “please stop.”

After the assault, C.H. testified that Green told her, “You aren’t going to report this are you, because I’ve had a lot of friends be put away for much less than this.”

During cross examination, C.H. asked for a break and left the courtroom, as defense attorneys questioned her about inconsistences in her testimony. She returned 10-minutes later after being consoled by her family.

The final victim (R.E.) told the court how she met Green at a party and found him at first to be a little bit pushy. For several months they texted each other.

R.E. said on November 21, 2015 she and several of her friends were invited to a party at Green’s apartment. Later in the night, Green took her to his bedroom, where the two started kissing. He then started taking her clothes off as she resisted.

R.E. told the court, she tried to leave but the bedroom door was locked. Green allegedly then held her down on his bed and started raping her. The assault continued until someone knocked on the door, giving her time to put her pants back on and leave the room.

Several of R.E.’s friends, who were also at the same party that night, testified that the victim was sobbing and saying, “I kept telling him no,” as she came out of the bedroom.

Both of the victims said they didn’t come forward to press charges until after several media stories came out about other alleged assaults by Green.

Following prosecutor’s witnesses, Judge Cannell said he would postpone bind over arguments until April 19, to give defense attorneys time to review evidence and make any rebuttals.

Green has been charged with six counts of rape, two counts of object rape and aggravated kidnapping, all first-degree felonies, and three counts of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony. He has pleaded not guilty to each charge.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!