More women testify during day 2 of Torrey Green preliminary hearings

Former Utah State University linebacker Torrey Green appears in the First District court on Thursday, the second day of a three-day preliminary hearing. Green is charged with six counts of rape, one count of aggravated kidnapping, three counts of forcible sex abuse and two counts of object rape. 

LOGAN — Two more victims and other witnesses testified during the second day of preliminary hearings for Torrey Green, the 23-year-old former Utah State football player. The full day of testimony continued Thursday in 1st District Court, as prosecutors also showed text messages from the defendant, where he allegedly admitted to raping or assaulting the seven women.

State attorney Spencer Walsh showed the court several messages between the defendant and another woman, extracted off of Green’s cellphone. The messages occurred around the time of several media stories that had come out about the alleged rapes. In the messages, the defendant wrote, he was the one who had raped the girls and he’d messed up. “Yes, I did. It’s my fault,” wrote Green. “I’m the one who did it.”

Sean Marshall, investigator for the Cache County Attorney’s Office, told the court he had tracked the woman down earlier this week in Boise, Idaho. She verified to being a friend of Green’s.

Earlier in the day, the victim of the fourth case (V.S.) described meeting Green and exchanging phone numbers in January 2015, outside the USU Student Center. She explained that several days later he took her to his Logan apartment, when the alleged rape took place.

V.S. became emotional as she described how the defendant began trying to undress and grope her that night. She explained how he picked her up and carried her to his bedroom, where he raped her several times. She tearfully testified, “I said no the whole time, and he knew I didn’t want to do it.”

V.S. claimed that Green told her after the assault, “You’re not the type of girl to report a rape right, because that would ruin my career.”

Throughout the hearing, Green was seen writing notes on a notepad and whispering to his attorneys, seated next to him. During the middle of the afternoon, he abruptly stood up and motioned for deputies to take him out of the courtroom. He returned 10-minutes later, reportedly suffering from nausea.

During testimony in the afternoon, the victim of the fifth case (A.P.) told the court she also met Green on the same dating app as other victims had previously testified to using. She talked about how shortly after meeting him, the defendant came over to her apartment in June 2015.

A.P. explained that she and Green started kissing that night but then the defendant became aggressive, pushing her into her bedroom. She described how he then held her down on the floor and took her clothes off.

“I told him to stop and I didn’t want to have sex with him,” said A.P. “He told me I did want to have sex with him, that he was really good and I would like it.”

After the alleged rape, A.P. said she locked herself in her bathroom until Green left the apartment.

Green is being held in the Cache County Jail, since being arrested in October 2016. He has been charged with six counts of rape, two counts of object rape and aggravated kidnapping, all first-degree felonies, and three counts of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony. He has pleaded not guilty to each charge.

Attorneys for both sides once again would not comment after Thursday’s hearings but said they would issue a statement on Friday.

Testimony is expected to conclude Friday. Defense attorney Skye Lazaro has already requested that closing arguments for the hearing be postponed until a later date, so they can have time to review evidence from the hearings.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!