Firefighters respond to house fire in Clarkston

Firefighters were called to a two-alarm fire early Thursday morning at a home in Clarkston. The fire was reported at 12:27 a.m. near 163 E. Center St.

According to emergency radio traffic, the homeowner called 911 after finding the fire burning in the home’s basement. All of the occupants were able to escape the home safely but one of the family’s cats died in the blaze.

Clarkston Fire Chief Brooks Dufner said crews are still investigating but believe the fire started near the home’s wood burning stove.

“The fire is believed to have been caused by combustibles, placed too close to the wood burning stove,” explained Dufner.

First responders arriving on the scene reported heavy flames coming from a basement widow, prompting the second alarm.

Firefighters were able to attack the fire from the outside before moving into the interior of the home and extinguishing the blaze.

The fire caused significant damage to the home, initial estimates over $200,000. The displaced homeowners were able to stay the night with family.

Dufner said firefighters believe there weren’t any working smoke alarms in the home and the family is lucky they were able to make it out safely. 

“Firefighters are urging all residents to have working smoke alarms on all levels of their homes, and to make sure fire hydrants near your homes are clear of snow and ice.”

Firefighters from Clarkston, Newton, Lewiston, Richmond, Smithfield and the Cache County Fire District all assisted in the firefighting efforts.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!