Roof fire evacuates North Logan hotel

LOGAN — Firefighters were quickly able to extinguish a fire Tuesday night at the Holiday Inn Express.

North Logan City Fire Chief Jon Keller said the fire was reported by someone inside the hotel who smelled smoke and called 911. When crews arrived on the scene, flames were seen on top of the roof.

“So the fire did not breech into the hotel itself. The fire was actually outside on top of the first-floor roof, in the kitchen area,” explained Keller.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire within a few minutes.

Keller said the hotel’s fire alarm system failed to go off, so occupants had to be evacuated from the building while the fire was being extinguished.

“We found out later that the electrical wire that actually got burned by the fire, tripped the alarm system so there was not horns and strobes. So we had police officers going throughout the building and evacuating everyone while we were putting out the fire.”

The fire was contained to the roof but there was a lot of smoke throughout the hotel. Residents were allowed back inside their rooms once crews ventilated the building.

Keller said firefighters believe the cause of the fire was from heat tape that was placed on the roof to melt the snow.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!