Logan restaurant owner sent to jail for 5th DUI

LOGAN — A judge has sentenced a local restaurant owner, Arthur Romo, to one-year in jail after the 47-year-old Mendon man previously pleaded guilty to his fifth DUI.

Romo appeared in 1st District Court Tuesday afternoon. He apologized and said he had no excuse for his actions. He told the court he had been using alcohol as a coping mechanism.

Romo’s defense attorney, Richard Gale, said his client’s latest arrest came while the family was dealing with a son, who was severely injured in a long-boarding accident. He was already on probation for his fourth DUI at the time.

State attorney Spencer Walsh expressed concern about the defendant’s history with alcohol addiction.

Romo told the court he was tired of being in trouble and said he is giving up drinking.

Judge Kevin Allen expressed hope for Romo, but said the defendant’s words didn’t mean much, considering it was his fifth arrest. He said, what he does going forward, will do more to restore the confidence of Romo’s family and the community.

Judge Allen said if it wasn’t for the recent Justice Reform Initiative, he would have sent Romo to prison. He granted him work release so that he could continue to operate his business, Romo’s Mediterranean Grill.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!