LOGAN — A fire Friday afternoon destroyed a home business in Beaver Dam. The fire, reported at 2:21 p.m., was at 15100 North 400 West.
The business, Country Lazer, was located in a garage, adjacent to the owner’s home.
Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton said a piece of engraving equipment inside the garage, is believed to have caused the fire.
“We’ve got a home workshop here,” said Barton. “They are a laser etching workshop and they were in doing some work, laser etching some wood and foam. They have what they call a flame-out on their lasers, meaning it actually starts on fire instead of just etching. It took off faster then they could stop it.”
When fire crews arrived, they found the garage fully engulfed in flames and unable to be saved.
Barton said crews immediately began trying to keep the fire from spreading to the nearby home.
“That was our first priority,” said Barton. “We got here, we got water put onto the side of the house, to keep it from actually catching on fire and then the shed burn down because it was to involved when we got here.”
Even with the water, the heat from fire melted the vinyl siding off one side of the home. Barton said damage to both structures is estimated around $100,000.
Fire crews from Plymouth, Fielding, and Garland reported to the fire. They were also assisted by crews from Mendon and Wellsville, part of a mutual-aid agreement between Cache and Box Elder Counties.
An investigation into the fire will continue. Barton said there were no injuries reported.