Bear Lake boater dies from carbon monoxide poisoning


BEAR LAKE (AP) – Authorities say a 22-year-old man is dead after of carbon monoxide poisoning while boating at Bear Lake.

Officials with the Rich County Sheriff’s Office say they got a 911 call about 7 p.m. Saturday from boaters who thought one of their passengers was suffering from heat stroke.

Sheriff’s officials say friends performed CPR on the Salt Lake-area man until the boat arrived at the marina, and emergency responders continued the medical efforts.

Deputies say the man was pronounced dead at the scene at about 8:30 p.m.

The Deseret News reports the Utah State Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the man died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Deputies say the watercraft was an older boat without an outboard engine, and the man had been sitting near the exhaust pipe.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!