I was disappointed to read Mayor Watts will be seeking re-election, running on a platform weaker than the claims behind Kim Kardashian’s “Shape Up” shoes. Overseeing new water facilities and city dumps should be part of day to day operations, not something declared an accomplishment after 8 years in office. It is not enough to be content that Logan is outlasting the recession. Logan’s Median household income is around $15,000- $20,000 below the state average. We must do better. Logan needs and deserves more than long-term politicians seeking longer terms.
For these reasons, I am announcing my intention to file for candidacy on June 3rd. I plan to run on 6 basic promises.
I promise to:
· Personally promote The City of Logan to businesses across the nation as a premier destination for business startup and expansion
· Donate 25% of Mayoral monthly salary to help new small businesses who operate on Main Street
· Strive to implement a 2 term limit on elected city officials
· Build a coalition of mayors to fight the Utah Common Core initiative through legislation
· End restrictions set by current mayor on local media’s access to city information
· Review city ordinances and remove outdated and/or unnecessary laws
Every citizen of Logan, regardless of age, should be concerned about the city’s economic growth. We can deal with trash dumps and waterways along the way, but generating new income and growth is vital to the longevity and future of this great city. With expertise in marketing and recruiting, along with a Master’s degree in Organizational Communication, I hope you will join me as I seek to bring more jobs and prosperity to Logan.