Mustangs stomp Timpanogos, only valley team to advance

<strong>HYRUM—</strong> The Mountain Crest football team did what other valley teams were unable to Friday night – win a game in the first round of the 4A State Playoffs, 36-6 over Timpanogos.

The Mustangs scored their first points of the game exactly two minutes in when Eddy Hall ran it into the end zone from 54 yards out.

“Our kids were really prepared,” MC head coach Mark Wootton said. “They came out fast, with energy and with purpose.”

Timpanogos threw an interception just three plays after the Hall touchdown, deep inside the Mustangs territory.

MC made the Timberwolves pay, as Jamison Webb found Hall open a few plays later and they connected for an 11-yard touchdown to take a 14-0 lead just 3:15 into the game.

It would be Hall’s final touchdown of the night.

With less than a minute remaining in the first quarter, Hall ran the ball to the right and earned a first down for the Mustangs as he was tackled out of bounds at the four yard line. He did not return to the field, as he suffered a sprained ankle.

Following the game, Hall was taken to have an X-ray of his ankle, but the result was negative. He is expected to play next week.

After Hall went out, Mountain Crest was unable to take advantage of the field position that he had given them. They had a turnover on downs inside the one yard line.

Instead of taking heart at their defenses fortitude, the Timpanogos offensive unit committed three false start penalties in a row. When they finally did get a clean snap, the MC defenders broke through the line and caused a safety.

“We had nine sacks on the night,” Wootton said. “Our defense was flying around and were very physical. We caused a ton of three and outs.”

“We have a great coaching staff who know what they’re doing and they told us what we needed to do on defense,” Troy Netzley said. “We came out and performed.”

The Mustangs extended their lead to 29-0 when Webb connected with Luke Smith for a 53-yard TD and Nick Taylor powered into the end zone on a 1-yard run.

Just before the half ended, Gaje Ferguson blindsided the Timpanogos quarterback resulting in a fumble on the Timberwolves own 12 yard line. Netzley recovered the fumble and ran it in, giving the home team a 36-0 halftime advantage.

Timpanogos’ struggles continued on both sides of the ball during the second half. The worst gaffe occurred in the third quarter when no one was sent to receive a Mountain Crest punt.

“I felt Timpanogos was never able to get anything going because of our defense,”Wootton said.

The Timberwolves never gave up and scored with 11 seconds remaining on a 12-yard pass from Kaden Bramall to Dyson Rivers. However, the game ended 36-6 after Bramall’s two-point conversion failed.

With the victory, the Mustangs advance to the second round where they will face Bountiful.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!