Davis Hall flood caused by airsoft gun

Photo courtesy of Jessica Fife

LOGAN– Students at Davis Hall were forced out of their rooms Tuesday night due to an emergency sprinkler that was accidentally set off on the fourth floor.

Sage Long, whose apartment flooded, said she was sitting in her dorm with some neighbors at about 9 p.m. when one of the resident males began shooting an airsoft gun.

A pellet ricocheted off the pumpkin he was shooting, hitting and breaking the glass bulb on the emergency sprinkler head, according to housing coordinator Katie Bohm.

“It kind of just went everywhere, like Titanic when the wall blew in,” said Long, a freshman majoring in health education. “And then within like a minute, it was already up to my ankles.”

Katie Pehrson who lives in the apartment directly below Long, said she and her roommate heard screaming coming from upstairs. Then they saw the water coming in from the ceiling.

“We were just like, ‘There’s a waterfall in our kitchen,’” said Pehrson, a freshman majoring in family, consumer and human development. After the fire alarms went off, Pehrson said they were evacuated from the building.

Jordan Ames, the resident assistant at Davis, notified on-call maintenance who arrived shortly. Bohm said it took eight minutes to turn off the sprinkler, which released several gallons of water per second.

<a href=”http://www.usustatesman.com/airsoft-pellet-accident-causes-flooding-in-davis-hall-1.2777104#” target=”_blank”><em>Continue to full article</em></a>

<a href=”http://www.usustatesman.com/airsoft-pellet-accident-causes-flooding-in-davis-hall-1.2777104#” target=”_blank”></a>

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!