LDS Institute fire cancels classes Wednesday

Logan’s LDS Institute of Religion canceled all classes Wednesday after a fire ignited in the main kitchen area, melting the overhead lights and smoke detector. There were no injuries and all were able to make it out of the building.The fire alarm went off at approximately 9:40 a.m., about 10 minutes into the 9:30 a.m. classes. A student alerted Tom Charrington, an instructor, of smoke coming from the kitchen entrances, said Institute Director Wayne Dymock.Charrington quickly left his class to check on the area, he said. When he arrived he found cardboard boxes blazing on the kitchen’s stove top. He then grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher and doused the flames. While Charrington worked on putting out the fire another instructor dialed 9-1-1.”What we believe is that they were serving apples and they moved the apple boxes over onto the counter with the stove and probably bumped a knob,” Dymock said. “We think it probably turned it on and caught the box on fire.”He said those who were in charge of serving the apples did not leave the kitchen for long, but when they returned. smoke was coming from the room.After firefighters arrived at the scene and assessed the area, Institute students were allowed to re-enter the building and quickly grab their belongings.An Institute instructor will stand outside the main doors of the building, telling students classes are canceled until further notice.

<a href=”http://aggietownsquare.com/”>For this and other articles, visit the Utah Statesman website by clicking here.</a>

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!