Once again the Cache County Council chambers were packed to capacity and once again the meeting ended with the Cache County Planning Commission postponing a decision on a conditional use permit for a proposed Cherry Creek Ski Resort east of Richmond.At the end of Thursday’s meeting the commissioners voted unanimously to continue discussion on the issue until a new study is conducted on the impact of the development on wildlife.There was approximately an hour of public input, including a concern raised by Richmond Mayor Mike Hall about possible damage to the city’s main water source. Mayor Hall told KVNU that he has not taken a stand one way or another on the proposed development and local residents are divided on the issue.”We are very much in favor of private property rights,” Hall said. “However, we do feel it’s appropriate to voice some concerns because of the close proximity to the city. Mostly because our main water source is located in that canyon. “Our number one priority is to make sure that water source is protected every step of the way.”Hall said he is also concerned about roadways and their ability to handle emergencies at the resort. “We have some concern with the roadways,” he continued, “making sure they are adequate so that when our emergency personnel are called out to take care of any accidents that may occur either to or from the resort, or at the resort itself, that we have the roads necessary to get our equipment on site, turned around and our emergency personnel, fire people, EMTs able to get up on that hill and do their job.”Hall said there is also concern that the main roads going to the hill are also the roads where the school crossings are.The mayor said he believes the developer, Logan Checketts, and the county’s panning commission and staff are doing all they can to come up with the best decision.
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!