Sprinkler system saves lives, historic downtown building

LOGAN, UT – A properly working fire sprinkler saved a historic building and possibly lives in downtown Logan Wednesday night. The Logan Fire Department was dispatched at approx. 9:30 pm to 29 South Main in Logan, and upon arrival found that a fire had occurred in one of the apartments located on the third floor of the Book Table building. The fire, caused by an unattended candle left burning in an apartment had been extinguished by the activation of a single fire sprinkler head. “The fire sprinkler system worked properly and saved the building and possibly the lives of the occupants in the other apartments,” said Craig Humphreys, Logan City Fire Marshal. “Had that fire progressed, undetected for any amount of time, it would have been a very hard fire to fight.”There was water damage that extended from the third floor to the first floor of the building. North Logan Fire Department was called in to assist with the call. Thanks to the help of several volunteers meeting in the building when the incident occurred, merchandise was moved and covered limiting water damage. All but the apartment, where the fire occurred, was able to be reoccupied within the night and after the fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems were returned to service. No injuries to citizens or firefighters were reported. The cause of the fire was found to be accidental in nature and started by a candle left burning in an apartment. The fire was contained to one room with minor smoke damage in the apartment.Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys stressed that, “particularly during the holiday season, candles left unattended are a fire hazard we see. Candles should never be left unattended.”

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!