Members of the Cache Valley Fire Public Education Coalition are no strangers to tragedy but when the Dennis Sorensen home in College Ward was destroyed by a gas-leak explosion on October 22nd it hit all too close to home. Sorensen, who is with his wife in Scotland serving an LDS Mission, is a retired Logan City firefighter. His son, Steven Sorensen of College Ward, is also a firefighter-paramedic with the Logan Fire Department. Jake Saunders, educator for the coalition, says medical bills are mounting for the Sorensen’s 27-year old son Tony who is being treated for severe burns at the University of Utah Burn Unit. The Sorensens also face the daunting cost of re-building their home and the Coalition wants to help by sponsoring a unique fundraiser. “It is a See’s Candy fundraiser,” Saunders explains. “Across the valley and even up into Southern Idaho there are locations set up where people can come in and order See’s chocolates and candies. From each package that’s purchased, $4 goes to the Sorensen family as a fundraiser for them.” Saunders says order forms are available at both Logan Fire Department locations, Wellsville City Hall, Smithfield and North Logan fire stations, the Hyrum Ambulance Station, Richmond City Hall and the Franklin County Fire District. You can also make contributions at America First Credit Union in Macey’s.
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!