Thursday evening, the Cache County Sheriff’s Office released a one-page statement summarizing the College Ward house explosion. “At approximately 1030 a.m. on October 22nd the Sorensen home at 2907 S 2400 W, College Ward, Utah was totally destroyed due to a propane leak within the home. An off-duty Cache County Sheriff’s Deputy Shane Zilles and his father were the first on the scene after the initial explosion. They rescued two people who were inside of the home when the explosion occurred. As additional neighbors arrived they assisted in moving the victims to safety. Minutes after the rescue additional small explosions occurred starting the rubble on fire. The victims are identified as 23 year old Mary Sorensen and her 27 year old brother Tony Sorensen. Mary was taken by ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital and Tony was taken to University of Utah Burn Center in Salt Lake. Both victims are expected to recover. The two siblings were living in the home while their parents are serving a LDS mission. The investigation team is being lead by Cache County Sheriff’s Office and assisted by the State of Utah Fire Marshal’s Office, Logan City Police Department, and Logan Fire Department. While that investigation is on-going, the initial determination is the explosion was caused by a leaking propane line within the home and the propane was ignited by an unknown source. The outside propane tank did not explode. The propane system was serviced and the storage tank filled on October 21st by Pitchers Sales Farm Machinery and several small leaks were detected. The home owners were planning to get the leaks repaired today.”
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!