A passer-by’s phone call and the quick response of the volunteer fire department helped save a Lewiston home Friday afternoon. Assistant Fire Chief Mark Blair says the resident of the home near 300 South 80 West was cutting wood Friday morning and sparked a flame. She reportedly doused the fire and left for work, but it apparently smoldered throughout the morning and ignited just after 1 p.m. Blair says the fire burned the wood pile and caught a tree on fire. The heat of the fire melted the siding on the back of the house and garage but Blair says thanks to a firewall block between the siding and the wood frame of the house, the fire didn’t penetrate the structure. Approximately 8-10 volunteer firefighters quickly knocked the fire down. Blair says no one was injured and the family was not displaced from the fire.
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!