Candle starts fire in Logan home

A downtown Logan home sustained $30,000 in damage Wednesday night from a fire that apparently started as a result of misuse of a candle. The house was located at 39 E. 300 South in Logan and according to Logan Assistant Fire Chief Brady Hansen, an unattended candle in the upstairs bedroom of the home ignited a fire that spread to other rooms of the home. Hansen said it’s important to remind people to be responsible when using candles and to never leave them unattended. “The use of candles, there’s certainly something about them that a lot of people really enjoy, but they have to be done with a lot of care,” Hansen said. “The use of candles in bedrooms is certainly not encouraged by the fire department. In bedroom and bathrooms and places like that where they’re easily left unattended is just a recipe for disaster in your home.” In fact, Hansen said, there have been costly and even fatal fires in the valley that started with the careless use of candles. He said one of the occupants of the home in Wednesday’s fire was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!