LOGAN — The jury trial for Christopher L. Lesco, a 34-year-old Nibley man accused of starting a fire in his mother’s house, has been reset for next month. The case had previously been postponed while he worked through another felony case in southern Utah.
Lescoe appeared in 1st District Court Monday morning. He was previously charged with aggravated arson, a first-degree felony; and six misdemeanors or infractions.
Public defender Mike McGinnis asked the court for a new trial date, explaining that they had been unable to reach a resolution in the case. He also said the southern Utah case is on hold, pending the results of the suspect’s other cases.
On March 3, police report Lescoe was involved in a hit-and-run crash in Logan, while driving his mother’s vehicle. When his brother and mother confronted him about the accident, he became combative and barricaded himself inside her home.
While inside, Lescoe started the house on fire in an attempt to take his life.
Deputies outside the home attempted to negotiate with Lescoe. They witnessed him moving furniture around and lighting the interior curtains on fire.
Lescoe eventually exited the home through the garage. He was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation and a laceration to his arm. He was transported to the Mental Health Unit at Logan Regional Hospital for treatment and later arrested.
Lescoe didn’t speak during Monday’s court appearance. He had previously said he wanted some mental help.
Judge Thomas Willmore scheduled the two-day trial for July 11. He ordered Lescoe to appear again in court July 1 for a final pre-trial conference.
Lescoe remains in jail on $21,000 bail since being arrested in March. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.