Local restaurant offering free breakfast for furloughed government employees

MayMoes restaurant in Logan is hosting a free breakfast for furloughed federal government employees and their families. Restaurant owner Jason Davis said this weekend will be the third straight Saturday he has provided a free breakfast buffet for those affected by the government shutdown. The restaurant, located 981 S. Main in Logan, will offer the meal from 8-10 a.m.

“We want people to use it. We’re not trying to sound fancy,” Davis exclaims. “I truly want people to take advantage of this. Sometimes people might get a little prideful or something, and they shouldn’t. They should enjoy it, come out and smile, break bread with us and have some laughs.”

Davis says those who show up usually see other people they know because they are from the same federal offices affected by the shutdown. Each week the number of people who have attended the free breakfast has doubled. On Saturday, January 12th, over 70 individuals attended and Davis is expecting twice that number this week.

“At this point it hasn’t cost me anything but the rent I pay on the building when they come and sit down. Everyone has been so generous with donations of food or money. I just want people to use it and to feel good, to have a hot meal, bring the kids and have a laugh.”

He says vendors have donated food and, unsolicited, restaurant patrons have donated money. He has also had volunteers show up to help clean up after the meals. Davis says his motivation to provide the meals wasn’t to get attention, but only to help. He says that desire to help others who are struggling is just part of his Southerner DNA.

“Honestly, I’ve been there before, broke and out of work. Sometimes you just want to go out for a hot meal, feel normal. Most of these people are probably sitting in their houses every day. If you go out you’re probably going to spend money and who knows when this is going to end. The community has always taken care of us, welcomed us with open arms and we always try to give back.”

Last week half of those who took advantage of the free breakfast were children. Anticipating an even larger number this Saturday, Davis says his employees have chipped in to get extra boxes of cereal. And he’s prepared to keep providing the meals as long as the shutdown continues.

“We’ll do it until we run out of money, we run out of food or they stop this thing.”

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • pablo January 18, 2019 at 12:29 pm Reply

    Wonderful! I only wish our president had a measure of the compassion and concern shown by Mr. Davis.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.