Sheriff K-9, Storm dies after ingesting poisonous weed

LOGAN — A deputy K-9 died unexpectedly Wednesday, after ingesting a poisonous weed.

In a press release, Cache County Sheriff Chad Jensen said, it was with deep regret that he announced the passing of Storm, a two-year-old Malinois. The dog died while undergoing surgery in Salt Lake.

Tuesday night, Storm and his handler attended a public event where they gave demonstrations of their skills and abilities as partners. The next morning, the K-9 deputy noticed a change in the dog’s behavior and took him a local veterinarian to be examined. Storm was found to have fluid around his lungs and in his chest.

Veterinarians advised taking the dog to a Salt Lake area animal clinic for immediate care. A chest tube was put in to drain the fluid, and x-rays were taken. It was determined Storm had inhaled or ingested Foxtail weeds.

Foxtail weeds have barbed seed heads and can work into any part of an animal’s body. The seeds are dangerous because they do not break down once inside the body and can cause massive infection.

Jensen said both veterinarians felt the handler had caught the infection in the early stages, and were optimistic Storm would be able to return to duty.

Surgery was scheduled to remove the infected areas as well as remove any more weeds. However, during the operation the dog passed away suddenly.

The sheriff’s office is planning a memorial service in the near future to honor Storm.

Jensen expressed appreciation for the staff at the Cache Meadow Veterinarian Clinic and Dr. Ravi Seshadri from the Advance Care Clinic in Salt Lake City, for their expertise, care, and compassion for Storm.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.