Nursing home employee applauded for saving patient’s life during fire

LOGAN — A nursing home employee is being credited for saving the lives of residents after a fire broke out at a nursing home. The blaze was reported Friday night around 6:40 p.m. at Rocky Mountain Care.

Logan City Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys said the employee discovered a bed of one of the residents had caught on fire. She immediately assisted the woman out of the bed and into a hallway. Another employee began to put out the fire with an extinguisher as the nursing home’s sprinkler system was activated.

As firefighters arrived on the scene, staff were already evacuating patients from the north wing of the building. Fire crews were quickly able to extinguish the fire and then cleared smoke and water from the building.

The resident living in the room where the fire originated was transported to the hospital with minor injuries. Another resident who fell during the building’s evacuation was also hospitalized as a precaution. Three employees were treated on-scene by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation.

Humphreys said the actions of the employee saved the life of the resident at the risk of her own safety. The quick evacuation procedure also helped get the other residents to safety.

Fire damage was confined to the single room. A joint investigation with the Utah State Fire Marshal’s Office was conducted. They found the fire to be accidental in nature and started by the failure of an air conditioning appliance.


will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.