LOGAN — A judge has refused to lower the bail for Jacob M. Selby-Brewer. The 19-year-old Logan man is accused of raping a teenage girl last summer.
Selby-Brewer appeared in 1st District Court Monday afternoon for a bail hearing. He was previously charged with rape, a first-degree felony, and unlawful sexual activity with a minor, a class B misdemeanor.
Public defender Mike McGinnis asked for the bail reduction, saying Selby-Brewer is innocent. He explained his client isn’t a violent person and lowering bail would help him get out and start working again.
State attorney Jacob Gordon disagreed. He asked the court to keep bail where it was set previously because of the seriousness of the charges.
Judge Thomas Willmore agreed with Gordon and ordered bail to remain at $21,000, cash only. He also set a preliminary hearing for May 22, where he’ll determine if prosecutors have sufficient evidence to bind the suspect over for trial.
Selby-Brewer didn’t speak during the hearing, shaking his head and wiping tears from his eyes with his hands.
According to an arrest warrant, Selby-Brewer is accused of raping a 16-year-old girl in June 2017. The victim claimed they were having consensual relations when she began to experience “extreme pain,” and told the defendant to stop. He allegedly refused, telling the victim he wasn’t finished. He then pinned her wrists with his hands, and continued to sexually assault her as she told him to stop and leave repeatedly.
Later during a pretext phone call, Selby-Brewer told the victim he felt bad about what happened. He said he acted stupid and wasn’t thinking. He later explained that he was extremely drunk at the time of the assault and could not remember what happened.