Richmond man hospitalized after explosion trying to make homemade fireworks

A 47-year-old Richmond man was hospitalized Tuesday night after an explosion inside his garage. Derek Parkinson was reportedly mixing black powder to make homemade fireworks when the blast occurred.

According to a press release from the Cache County Sheriff’s Office, deputies were called to the Richmond home around 7:30 p.m. Parkinson’s arm and face were injured in the explosion. He taken to the hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

Fire fighters later inspected the home and found a leaking propane tank, prompting them to evacuate the residence for the night. Deputies are unsure what ignited the mixture and caused the blast. A hazmat team was also dispatched to the scene to clean up the area.

A second blast occurred at 2:00 a.m. Wednesday morning, when bomb crews set off a controlled explosion to destroy the remaining firework materials.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”> 

<p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.