Utah State tuition rising

LOGAN – Tuition is set to increase for all of Utah’s public colleges, but it is increasing more for Utah State University students. Every state-run college will have a 2.5 percent increase known as a “tier 1” tuition increase, but others opted for an additional “tier 2” increase that ranges from 1 percent to 2.5 percent. USU opted for an additional 2.5 percent, the highest in the state.

For full-time resident undergraduate students, that means an increase from $2,906.94 to $3,052.25. Fees are also scheduled to increase from $525.87 to $535.07. All combined means a cost increase of $309.06 for each resident undergrad next school year.

According to The Utah Statesman, USU’s student-run newspaper, USU President Noelle Cockett said there wasn’t anything done that wasn’t necessary.

The $6,104 annual cost for attending Utah State will be second highest among Utah’s public colleges. According to the Utah System of Higher Education, the University of Utah will have the highest annual cost at $7,697. The least expensive school will be Snow College, which will cost $3,276 annually.

The cost of attending Utah State has more than doubled since 2004, and increased by more than $1,200 during the last decade.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”6b1e441c-2b93-11e7-827b-8f0f09d98772″}}

The majority of USU’s $9.22 fee increase was in because of an increase of $5 to the library fee and a new $3.50 Counseling and Psychological Services fee, but there were also small increases to the activity and campus recreation fees.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!