Health officials raising awareness of radon danger

It Is naturally occurring and radon gas is invisible, odorless and tasteless yet Bear River Health Department officials say radioactive gas can reach harmful levels when trapped in buildings. It is estimated that 50 percent of the homes in Box Elder County, 40 percent in Cache County and 30 percent in Rich County have high levels of radon.Dr. Ed Redd, medical director for the health department, says radon is a gas and it is continually being released from the soil underneath your house and it releases alpha particles which can be inhaled right up next to living tissue.”They don’t really penetrate through your skin or through your clothing, or anything like that,” Redd explained on KVNU’s Crosstalk show Wednesday. “But when you inhale them they are right up next to living tissue, living cells inside your lungs that are alive.”Because the proximity of the radon gas, and the radioactive particles coming off the radon gas, you inhale it in your lungs and it affects the tissues right there in your airways and the lungs and causes cancer in the lungs.”Dr. Redd says it is estimated that a least one person from Cache Valley dies each year from lung cancer due to radon exposure. Health Department officials have test kits for just $6. For more information, call 792-6518.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!